To end the deployment of 2,000 National Guard soldiers in Trump LA – DW – 07/16/2025

The Trump administration said on Tuesday that it was ending the deployment of 2,000 National Guard soldiers in Los Angeles.

Following protests on immigration raids in the city and surrounding communities, this figure is for half the number of soldiers posted in La last month.

“Thanks to our soldiers who stepped to respond to the call, Los Angeles,” Chief Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said in a statement announcement of the verdict.

Protests started in peace: Reporter Jason Campdonia

Enable JavaScript to watch this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser HTML5 supports video

Trump administration deployed 4,000 National Guard soldiers in La

The Trump administration last month deployed 4,000 National Guard soldiers and around 700 Marines to LA, which was opposed by law enforcement officers and protesters.

By doing this, President Donald Trump became the first President in the decades to make the soldiers federal, ignoring the authority of Gavner Gavin Newsom of California.

Newsom, a Democrat, sued the Trump administration, arguing among other things that Trump violated the law when California National Guard soldiers were deployed despite their opposition.

The National Guard responds to domestic emergency situations such as specific natural disasters, foreign fighter missions, counterposts Iphorg or reconstruction projects.

In late June, the top military commander of soldiers posted at LA asked the Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to return 200 to fight the wildfire to 200 as California entered the peak wildfire season.

What has been the reaction of Newsom to release soldiers?

Following the Pentagon’s decision on Tuesday, Newsom said in a statement that the deployment of National Guard for La pulled the soldiers from their families and civil works “to serve as political pawns for the President”.

He said that the remaining soldiers “continue without a mission, without direction and without the hope of returning to help their communities.”

“We ask Trump and the Defense Department to abolish this theater and now send everyone home,” he said.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, who has been opposed to the statement of the National Guard soldiers, appreciated the departure of the soldiers, wrote, “This happened because the people of Los Angeles united and stood strong. We took the Trump administration to court – all this caused the back of retreat today.”

He said, “We will not hear our voices until it is finished, not only in LA, but through our country,” he said.

Edited by: John Silk

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *