Another deadly attack on Kyiv – DW – 11/29/2025

Skip to next section Russia calls HRW ‘undesirable’

29 November 2025

Russia calls HRW ‘undesirable’

The Prosecutor General’s Office of Russia has added non-governmental organization (NGO) Human Rights Watch (HRW) to its growing list of “undesirable organizations”.

The designation means that HRW must immediately cease all activities in Russia as well as make it illegal for individuals or organizations inside Russia to work with it.

“For more than three decades, Human Rights Watch’s work on post-Soviet Russia has pressured the government to uphold human rights and freedoms,” said Philip Bolopian, executive director of Human Rights Watch. statement“Our work has not changed, but what has changed dramatically is the government’s full embrace of dictatorial policies, a stunning increase in repression, and the scope of war crimes being committed by its forces in Ukraine,”

Repressive before the invasion of neighboring Ukraine, the Kremlin has stepped up its attack on critics since February 2022.

Friday’s move came the same day a case was launched against feminist punk band Pussy Riot on grounds of “extremism” and a day after the late Alexei Navalny’s anti-corruption foundation was labeled a “terrorist organization”.

Russia has designated more than 270 entities – including major independent news organizations and rights groups – as “undesirable.”

HRW is on Russia’s outspoken critic of the war and what he calls war crimesRecently, it published an investigation into Russian soldiers terrorizing and killing individual civilians with drones,

https://p.dw.com/p/54TZJ

Skip to next section Russia kills two, injures dozens including child in Kiev attack

29 November 2025

Russia kills two, injures dozens including child in Kiev attack

In another major attack overnight, Russian forces targeted civilians in the Ukrainian capital Kiev with deadly missile and drone attacks, damaging buildings and setting fires across the city.

The projectiles struck residential apartment complexes, killing two people and injuring more than two dozen, according to Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha, who posted photos of the attack on Twitter.

A child was also among the injured.

The full extent of the damage is not yet clear, but several residential areas were targeted in the attack.

This is the second time in a few days that Kiev has been targeted.

Earlier this week, seven people were killed in attacks involving ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, hypersonic weapons and drones in what Ukraine’s Energy Ministry described as a “large-scale combined attack” on the country’s energy infrastructure.

Foreign Minister Cybiha’s post also highlighted Russian President Vladimir Putin’s brutal pursuit of an illegal war, as well as Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s recent proposals. Orban, a Putin supporter, traveled to the Kremlin this week with a promise to buy more Russian oil and offer his services as a peace broker.

https://p.dw.com/p/54TWC

Skip to next section Welcome to our coverage

29 November 2025

Welcome to our coverage

Thank you for joining us as we bring you the latest news from Russia’s war on Ukraine.

Ukraine’s capital Kiev was once again targeted by Russian missiles and drones overnight, the country’s foreign minister said, killing two civilians and wounding dozens of others in residential areas across the city.

The Kremlin took another step to suppress critics of its invasion of Ukraine and domestic abuses, adding the NGO Human Rights Watch (HRW) to a growing list of “undesirable organizations.” This designation makes it illegal for anyone in the country to work with the investigative organization.

Follow DW throughout the day for more details.

Trump’s peace plan leaves Zelensky in a no-win situation

Please enable JavaScript to view this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser Supports HTML5 video

https://p.dw.com/p/54TVy

Source link