This is feared after the firing near the White House.

The White House was locked down after a suspect opened fire on Saturday evening.

The Secret Service said on social media that the alleged gunman opened fire on officers stationed outside the White House and died during the incident.

“Secret Service police officers returned fire, shooting the suspect, who was taken to an area hospital, where he later died,” a statement said. It said no officers were injured.

The Secret Service said a bystander was also shot. No information has been given about the condition of the victim.

A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told reporters that the suspect was emotionally disturbed and had previously been issued a “stay away order.”

    US Secret Service police inspect from the roof of the White House,
Secret Service officers seen on the roof of the White House after the shootingImage: Jose Luis Magaña/AP Photo/Picture Alliance

What else do we know about the shooting near the White House?

US President Donald Trump was in the White House at the time of the shooting. It is not known whether he was the intended target.

Trump said in a post on his Truth social platform on Saturday evening that he was working on finalizing a deal with Iran in the Oval Office.

The Secret Service said no White House “protected individuals or operations were affected.”

DW’s Washington DC correspondent Benjamin Alvarez said there was a “heavy Secret Service, police and National Guard presence” at 17th and H Streets NW, just outside the White House.

Police set up a security cordon and urged the public to stay away from the area.

Journalists working at the White House say they were told to shelter in place after the area was locked down.

A member of the Secret Service prevents a journalist from leaving the White House, Washington, DC
A member of the Secret Service prevents a journalist from leaving the White House, Washington, DCImage: Jose Luis Magaña/AP Photo/Picture Alliance

The scene of Saturday’s shooting is very close to the spot where two West Virginia National Guard soldiers were shot in November 2025. One soldier died, while the condition of the other is critical.

Trump assassination attempt

Saturday’s incident comes less than a month after Trump was targeted in what authorities say was an assassination attempt on April 25, when the president attended the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner at a hotel in the US capital.

Police block roads around the White House in Washington, DC on Saturday, May 23, 2026
There was heavy security arrangements around the White House Image: Alex Brandon/AP Photo/Picture Alliance

A 31-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder.

Trump, 79, has survived two other alleged assassination attempts.

In July 2024, he was hit in the ear by a bullet aimed at him at an election campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

In September that year, a man was accused of plotting to kill Trump at a Florida golf course.

Edited by: Dmytro Lyubenko

Don’t let algorithms hide news. If you rely on our team for reliable reporting, please take a moment Select us as your favorite source on Google by clicking here and pressing the “Star” or “Favorite” buttonThat’s why you’ll always see our verified news first.

Source link

Leave a Comment