Belarus begins exercises involving Russian nuclear weapons

Belarus announced on Monday the start of training exercises involving Russian nuclear weapons, drawing widespread condemnation from neighboring Ukraine.

In 2023, a year after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko agreed to host Russian tactical nuclear missiles.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has emphasized Moscow’s control over the use of missiles.

In 2024, the Kremlin released a revised nuclear doctrine that placed Belarus under the Russian nuclear umbrella.

Belarus shares borders with Russia, Ukraine and three members of the NATO alliance.

Lithuania on alert from Russia-Belarus Zapad military exercise

Please enable JavaScript to view this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser Supports HTML5 video

What did Belarus say on nuclear exercises?

In a statement on Monday, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said the exercises would test its readiness to deploy nuclear weapons in various regions of the country.

“During the training, in cooperation with the Russian side, it is planned to practice the delivery of nuclear weapons and their preparation for use,” the ministry said.

It said the exercises would focus on “practicing stealth, movement at significant distances, and calculations for the use of forces and equipment.”

The ministry stressed that the exercise was not against any other country and posed no security threat to the region.

How has Ukraine reacted to the nuclear exercises?

Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry criticized the drills and urged Western allies to tighten sanctions on Russia and Belarus.

The Ukrainian ministry said, “By turning Belarus into its own nuclear platform near NATO borders, the Kremlin is de facto legitimizing the spread of nuclear weapons around the world and setting a dangerous precedent for other authoritarian regimes.”

Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky warned that Moscow was trying to draw Belarus deeper into its war in Ukraine. He suggested that Russia was considering plans to launch an attack on Ukraine or a NATO member from Belarus.

The Kremlin denied Zelensky’s allegations on Monday.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, “Such a statement is nothing more than an attempt to further provocation aimed at prolonging the war and increasing tensions.”

Edited by: Louis Olofse

Source link

Leave a Comment