Philippines senator ordered for arrest on ICC charges

The Philippine government on Thursday ordered law enforcement agencies to arrest Senator Ronald dela Rosa, who is wanted by the ICC for his role in former President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly “war on drugs” campaign.

Justice Secretary Frederick Vida told reporters that Philippine law enforcement agencies “are now tasked with the arrest of Senator Ronald ‘Bato’ dela Rosa.”

He is better known by his nickname “Bato”, which means “rock.”

The government order to enforce the warrant came after the Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected dela Rosa’s bid for a temporary restraining order.

Vida said the former police chief is now considered a fugitive and should face charges before the International Criminal Court (ICC).

What is the allegation?

The ICC last week revoked the arrest warrant against Duterte and Dela Rosa, accused along with other “co-perpetrators” of crimes against humanity of murder.

He was Duterte’s top enforcer in a bloody crackdown during a deadly campaign against drugs that saw thousands of suspected drug dealers and users killed in police operations and other attacks that authorities blamed on vigilantes and turf wars.

Filipino woman who lost family in drug war takes on Duterte

Please enable JavaScript to view this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser Supports HTML5 video

Following his tenure as Chief of National Police from 2016 to 2018, he was elected to two consecutive six-year terms in the Senate.

He has denied any involvement in unlawful killings.

Gunshots heard in the Philippine Senate

Last week, Dela Rosa, who was taking refuge in his Senate office, said his arrest was imminent and called on supporters to mobilize to stop any efforts to transfer him to The Hague to face charges of crimes against humanity.

He urged his “fellow men in uniform” and former classmates at the Philippine Military Academy to “express their feeling” that the government of President Ferdinand Marcos should not “hand them over to foreigners.”

What followed was chaos and gunfire throughout the night inside the Philippine Senate as armed soldiers entered the building.

The senator’s current whereabouts are unknown.

The ICC is also prosecuting Duterte, who is currently detained in The Hague awaiting trial on crimes against humanity charges. The former president denied any wrongdoing.

Edited by: Zack Crellin

Source link

Leave a Comment