Democratic Republic of the Congo President Felix Tshisekedi will travel to the United States next week to finalize a peace deal and meet with Rwandan President Paul Kagame, the Congolese government announced Friday.
The meeting on December 4 aims to build on a US-brokered peace deal in June, capping months of diplomatic efforts under US President Donald Trump.
The leaders of Congo and Rwanda are expected to ratify the final agreement early this month as well as hold talks on a regional economic integration framework, according to Tshisekedi’s spokesperson Tina Salama.
“The President has always desired regional integration, but respect for sovereignty cannot be compromised and is a prerequisite for regional integration,” Salama said.
Rwandan President urges real commitment at grassroots level
Tshisekedi’s confirmation of the December 4 signing came a day after his counterpart Kagame warned that durable peace in eastern Congo would require real commitment from both sides.
“Some of these processes will not work just because we are meeting in Washington or because the powerful United States is involved, but will not work unless those directly concerned are committed to achieving the end result,” Kagame said.
Eastern Congo has endured years of conflict between government forces and more than 100 different armed groups, particularly M23 rebels.
The conflict intensified this year as M23 captured the key cities of Goma and Bukavu, deepening an already dire humanitarian crisis.
In November, Congo and M23 rebels signed a new peace framework to end the conflict that has ravaged its east.
Kinshasa links progress to Rwanda’s return to M23
The Congolese government has repeatedly said that any agreement depends on Rwanda withdrawing its support for the M23 rebels.
Rwanda denies supporting the M23, but UN experts reported in July that Rwanda maintains command and control over the group.
Speaking to The Associated Press on Friday, Salama said any peace deal should exclude “any mixing or integration of M23 fighters.”
He said the withdrawal of Rwandan troops had already been outlined in an agreement signed by the foreign ministers of the two countries in June.
“We are pursuing peace within the regional integration framework,” Salama said. “What remains non-negotiable for us is the territorial integrity of the DRC.”
Edited by: Louis Olofse






Leave a Reply