Cuba bought more than 300 drones from Russia and Iran – report

According to classified intelligence cited by Axios news outlet, Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones.

The report published Sunday alleged that Cuba had discussed plans to use military drones to attack the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay, as well as military ships and possibly Key West, Florida.

Axios quoted a senior US official as saying that the Trump administration is concerned about the growth of drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana.

“When we think about the types of technologies that are so close, and there are so many bad actors from terrorist groups to drug cartels to Iranians to Russians, it’s worrisome,” the unnamed official was quoted as saying. “This is a growing threat.”

U.S. officials told Axios that Cuba has been purchasing attack drones from Russia and Iran through 2023 and is looking to buy more.

Cuba reacts to Axios report

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused the United States of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify economic sanctions and possible military intervention.

“Without any legitimate excuse, the U.S. government is building a case of fraud day after day to justify a brutal economic war and ultimately military aggression against the Cuban people,” Rodriguez wrote on Sunday.

“Cuba neither threatens war nor desires war.”

Rodriguez did not explicitly mention the drone allegations in his statement.

America increased pressure on Cuba

Axios’ report comes at a time when America is increasing pressure on Cuba.

Late last week, US media and news agencies reported that the US was taking steps to convict Raul Castro, the former Cuban president and brother of late long-term leader Fidel Castro.

CIA Director John Radcliffe also visited the island nation last Thursday.

US broadcaster CBS News quoted an unnamed CIA official as saying that Radcliffe warned against Cuba becoming a “safe haven for adversaries in the Western Hemisphere”.

The Trump administration has also effectively cut off oil shipments to Cuba by threatening tariffs on any country that exports oil to the Caribbean nation.

This has caused massive power outages across the island.

Earlier in May, US President Donald Trump said the United States would annex Cuba “almost immediately”.

Cuba’s grid buzzes again, causing blackouts and unrest

Please enable JavaScript to view this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser Supports HTML5 video

Edited by: Srinivas Majumdaru

Source link

Leave a Comment