The United States and Iran signaled progress on Saturday toward a framework agreement that could end a nearly three-month standoff sparked by US and Israeli attacks on Iran and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
The move comes as global pressure grows to avert a wider regional conflict, with mediators saying the two sides are moving closer to a practical de-escalation plan.
what do we know?
US President Donald Trump told CBS News the two sides are getting “very close” to finalizing an agreement.
He declined to provide specific details about the plan, but said that “every day it’s getting better and better.”
In a separate interview with US news outlet Axios, Trump said the chances of a deal were “solid 50/50”, while threatening to “blow them up in the state” if the talks failed.
Earlier in the day, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke of “little progress” in talks, adding that “some news may come a little later today,” though it could come on Sunday or “within a couple of days.”
Speaking during a visit to India, Rubio ruled out resuming US attacks on Iran if talks fail.
Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baqaei told state broadcaster IRIB that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for an agreement, but said a final agreement would take more time.
“Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and ultimately a final agreement will be reached,” Bakayi told IRIB.
He said major fault lines remain between the two sides and would have to be part of a framework for ending the US blockade of Hormuz. The blockade has halted Iran’s oil exports, the Islamic Republic’s main source of income.
While Rubio reiterated US demands that Tehran hand over highly enriched uranium linked to Iran’s controversial nuclear program, Bakay stressed that nuclear talks would not be part of an initial agreement.
even on saturday financial Times Citing mediators, the two sides were close to an agreement on extending the ceasefire that began on April 8 for 60 days. That deal would include the gradual reopening of Hormuz, the report said.
Pakistan’s top mediator visits Tehran
The fresh optimism from both sides came hours after Pakistan’s powerful army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir held talks with Iranian leaders in Tehran.
A Pakistani Army statement later said their meetings were highly productive.
Islamabad has led talks that have led to a ceasefire in the conflict and also to reopening Hormuz, which has been effectively closed to shipping since late February.
Before the war, the narrow strait, off the coast of Iran, carried about a fifth of the world’s oil and gas exports from the broader Gulf region. Oil prices, which had risen when the war began, remain high.
Rumors spread after Trump did not attend the wedding
The progress in talks led Trump to abruptly cancel plans to attend his son’s wedding on Friday to remain in Washington due to “government-related circumstances.”
The move sparked speculation that talks had reached a sensitive stage or that Trump might order fresh military action.
US media outlets Axios and CBS News reported that the White House was considering a renewed attack, while Rubio told NATO foreign ministers gathered in Sweden on Friday that there should be a “Plan B” in case talks fail.
In turn, Iran’s chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf vowed a “crushing” response from Tehran, warning Trump against “another act of stupidity”, stressing that Iran’s armed forces had been rebuilt during the initial ceasefire.
Edited by: Louis Olofse
Don’t let algorithms hide news. If you rely on our team for reliable reporting, please take a moment Select us as your favorite source on Google by clicking here and pressing the “Star” or “Favorite” buttonThat’s why you’ll always see our verified news first.
