Pentagon says US will reduce troop numbers in Europe to 2021 levels

The Pentagon said Tuesday it is reducing the number of U.S. Army Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) in Europe from three to four.

Sean Parnell, chief Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement that the US was reducing the number of troops on the continent as a result of a “comprehensive, multi-layered process” focused on the US stance in Europe.

According to a Congressional report, a BCT consists of 4,000 to 4,700 personnel.

Parnell said the cut brings US troops deployed on the continent to 2021 levels. The US sent additional troops to Europe after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Why is America reducing troops in Europe under Trump’s leadership?

The latest announcement is in line with US President Donald Trump’s broader policy towards Europe.

Since returning to the White House last year, Trump has made clear that he expects European countries to take greater responsibility than the US for the continent’s security.

The urgency of the matter has been heightened by several blows to transatlantic relations, notably Trump’s attempt to take control of the Arctic island of Greenland, an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark.

Parnell said the decision to reduce U.S. troops “is designed to advance President Trump’s America First agenda in Europe and other theaters, including encouraging and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for the conventional defense of Europe.”

What should we make of America’s cancellation of troop deployment in Poland?

Please enable JavaScript to view this video, and consider upgrading to a web browser Supports HTML5 video

US delays deployment to Poland

Vice President J.D. Vance told reporters earlier Tuesday that the deployment of U.S. troops to Poland has been delayed.

Parnell confirmed the news in his statement, citing “temporary delays” as a result of the lack of brigade combat teams in Europe.

Parnell said, “The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements as well as our allies’ ability to contribute to the defense of Europe.”

Photo of JD Vance at a White House briefing
JD Vance says US wants to encourage Europe to ‘take greater ownership’ of common defense on the continentImage: Kevin Lamarck/Reuters

Earlier this month, the Pentagon announced it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany. The move came after a public spat between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who criticized the US war on Iran and said Washington was being “humiliated” in talks with Tehran, angering Trump.

top US military commander in Europe said on Tuesday Most of the American troops withdrawn from Europe were being drawn from an armored brigade that was in the process of deploying to Poland as opposed to the Yanking forces already deployed in Poland and Germany.

Edited by: Rana Taha

Source link

Leave a Comment