US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard has submitted her resignation to President Donald Trump, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of a rare form of bone cancer.
Gabbard, 45, advised Trump of her intention to step down during a meeting in the Oval Office. His resignation will be effective on June 30.
In her resignation letter, which she also posted on social media, Gabbard told Trump that she was “deeply grateful for the confidence you have placed in me over the last year and a half,” but said she had to “step away from public service” to support her husband.
Accepting Gabbard’s resignation, Trump said, “Tulsi has done an incredible job and we will miss her,” adding that her deputy, Aaron Lucas, will serve as acting Director of National Intelligence.
Gabbard’s opposition to foreign wars
Gabbard, a former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii, made her political name on her opposition to United States involvement in foreign wars, which put her at odds with Trump when the US and Israel went to war against Iran on February 28.
His comments at a congressional hearing in March were notable for cautiously not supporting Trump’s decision to attack Iran. He repeatedly dodged a question about whether the White House was warned of the possible consequences of a conflict, including Iran closing the Strait of Hormuz.
He claimed, “It is not the responsibility of the intelligence community to determine what is and what is not an imminent threat,” a description of his role as director of national intelligence that raised eyebrows.
“While we have made significant progress, advancing unprecedented transparency and restoring integrity to the intelligence community, I recognize there is still significant work to be done,” she wrote in her resignation letter. “I am fully committed to ensuring a smooth and thorough transition in the coming weeks.”
Edited by: Shawn Sinico
